The Romanian-U.S. Fulbright Commission announces the competition for the summer 2023 Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders from Europe, a five-week academic program in the U.S. for undergraduate students. The Institutes are an all-expense paid program, including program administration; international and visa travel, travel allowances, domestic travel and ground transportation; book, cultural, mailing and incidental allowances; and housing and subsistence. Participants will be enrolled in ASPE, the U.S. Department of State’s Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges.
Institute topic: Journalism and Media
Grant duration: 5 weeks in the June to August 2023 timeframe (exact dates will be communicated by the U.S. administrators at the time of selection)
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- have Romanian citizenship;
- be an undergraduate student enrolled in a Romanian university (MA and PhD students are not eligible);
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies following completion of the SUSI program, and therefore be committed to return to their home university (undergraduate students currently in their final year of study are not eligible);
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- be proficient in English;
- be interested in the Institute topic;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of Europe;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel.
Each applicant will be required to submit:
- an application form to be downloaded from here;
- one letter of recommendation to be completed and signed by a professor/academic advisor, a supervisor at work, or a community leader who knows the applicant well and is familiar with the applicant’s academic and/or professional work. The form is available here;
- certificate of enrollment (a document issued by the university to attest you are currently enrolled as a student in the 2022-2023 academic year – adeverință de student sau carnet de student vizat pe anul academic 2022-2023);
- academic transcripts (foaia matricolă sau adeverința cu situația școlară eliberată de facultate); first-year students should send their high-school transcripts and diploma.